Hey All – It’s coming up on Moustache Season again! The annual MOvember campaign is gearing up and we are thrilled to support this fantastically Fun – and – Worthy cause. Check deets below and get your training pants on to Grow a Mo!
The idea for Movember was sparked in 2003 over a few beers in Melbourne, Australia. The guys behind it joked about 80’s fashion and decided it was time to bring the moustache back. In order to justify their Mos (Australian slang for moustache), they used their new looks to raise money for prostate cancer research… never dreaming that facial hair would ultimately lead to a global movement that would get men talking about a taboo subject – their health.
A Mo Bro starts Movember – the month formerly known as November – clean shaven, and grows a moustache all month long, garnering support from friends and family in the form of donations. What’s more, a Mo Bro is a walking billboard for the cause as his new look opens the door for him to talk about cancers affecting men – making the moustache a symbol, much like the pink ribbon is for breast cancer. Each Movember culminates in a Gala Partè in major cities around the globe where Mo Bros dress up to match their Mo, channeling the likes of Tom Selleck, Gandhi and Ron Burgandy, vying for the ultimate accolade: Man of Movember.
While growing a Mo is left to the guys, Mo Sistas (women who support their guys) form an important part of Movember by recruiting Mo Bros, helping to raise funds and attending Movember events.
If Movember has not officially launched in your part of the world, see below, you can still be part of the movement that is changing the face of men’s health. Please select which country you would like to raise funds for and you’ll be re-directed to that website to register and get started.
- Movember Australia – The Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia and beyondblue: the national depression initiative
- Movember Canada – English, Français – Prostate Cancer Canada
- Movember Ireland – Action Prostate Cancer, an initiative of the Irish Cancer Society
- Movember New Zealand – The Cancer Society and the Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand
- Movember South Africa – Cancer Association of South Africa
- Movember United Kingdom – The Prostate Cancer Charity
- Movember United States – The Prostate Cancer Foundation and Lance Armstrong Foundation
- Movember Belgium – English, Dutch , Français – Movember’s Global Action Plan
- Movember Czech Republic – Movember’s Global Action Plan
- Movember Denmark – Movember’s Global Action Plan
- Movember Finland – Cancer Society of Finland
- Movember Netherlands – NKI-AVI
- Movember Norway – Movember’s Global Action Plan
Unofficial Movember campaigns are also running in a number of other countries. Check out their Facebook pages to see what’s happening in a place near you:
Spain, Italy, India, Brazil, Portugal, Switzerland, Singapore, Hong Kong, Cayman, Argentina, Japan, Bermuda, Austria, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Slovakia, France, Hungary, Israel, Slovenia, Germany, Poland, Romania, Sweden, Mexico, Serbia